Saturday, November 21, 2009

"Worst Flooding in Memory"


Nearly sunset after yet another day of heavy rain in Ireland. Worse in the Cork and Galway area but North Leitrim has had high winds and more rain than the saturated fields can hold. The lake beyond the main road is full but holding and I just saw my cows come out from their shelter under the trees. But the crows have not appeared so there must be more rain to come - and soon.

A thin crescent moon low in the sky...the wise woman told her daughter to look to the West for the weather. The clouds have lifted and the sun, with only moments left to share its magic with us, appears.

The West of Ireland - raw, rugged and struggling - yet it is here that I have found Home.

3 comments:

swengie.g said...

Beautiful warm sun ... stay dry!

srarosa said...

I remember having a westward facing window in my rented room in Cork. Over the summer I learned how to read the clouds as a weather forecast.

We had a pretty hard rainburst last Friday afternoon. I walked over to the window that looks out over Mission and saw 10-12 crows sitting in a bright red tree, preening and cleaning themselves in the downpour. They were all sitting, but in motion as their heads bobbed underneath their wings and around to backsides. It was kind of amazing.

Denise Sallee said...

Ah, yes, Carmel crows after the rain. Goodness.