Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Dublin - Grand Canal Dock

Twilight walk  in the area around my hotel.  "Grand Canal Dock is an area in Ringsend near Dublin city centre, surrounding the Grand Canal Docks, an enclosed harbour or docking area between the River Liffey and the Grand Canal. Since 2000 the area has undergone significant redevelopment as part of the Dublin Docklands area redevelopment project."

My son-in-law works at the nearby international headquarters for Facebook and I've never explored this area of Dublin.  I am still feeling unreal about the fact that I am back in Ireland after nine years. I have a bit over 3 weeks to reconnect, nourish my heart and my soul. At this moment the birds are singing down the day - a chorus of welcome for which I am deeply grateful. 

Grand Canal Dock:



The Dock area continues to build. Below is  Boland's Mill, an important historical structure that is  being carefully restored while allowing for modern growth:


Along the Grand Canal Quay,  people walked home for work and went out for evening activities. Lining the canal are Edwardian brick townhouses. As I strolled along I thought about Yeats, Ella Young and AE - perhaps also they strolled along here deep in esoteric thoughts and reflecting upon Ireland and magic - and, no doubt, the British.  








From Carmel Valley to Dublin in one very long day. I'm here now and tomorrow when I awake I will know I am home.