Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Haunted by Hoffman




It all started last October driving home from Bellingham with Peter's ashes safely tucked away in my red carry-on suitcase. After glimpsing a Borders from Hwy 5 I exited in search of a tall soy chai - my current addiction. I found the chai and on my way out picked up my first Alice Hoffman novel The Ice Queen for the motel room in the hopes of taking my mind off what the trip was all about. And thus began the haunting of Denise by Alice Hoffman. The story unfolds as a librarian (libraries figure big in Hoffman books) learns how to live with the "be careful what you wish for it might come true" curse. Me? I'm still working on that one...
Then last January while trying to shake off a nasty virus I found a well-worn copy of Here On Earth in my nightstand. Thanks, Alice, a book about love and obsession as timeless as Wuthering Heights. A book about wounded men...thanks, Alice.

And now I am working my way slowly through Skylight Confessions that truly is about haunting. Sam, a young boy - a gifted, brilliant young boy - loses his mother on the earthly plane but she remains with him - through the drugs, through the destruction. Thank you, Alice.

Not sure what this all means but I am drawn into her writing because of her use of myth as a mirror for our world and our lives. Heady stuff that makes one think - makes one examine ones own life and relationships. Go for it, Alice - somehow I don't feel the Haunting by Hoffman is quite over.


No comments: