Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wise Women


Long ago I owned a bookstore - a special nest to nurture women's creativity and the ongoing quest for their "authentic selves." It thrived for a time and so did I because daily I came into contact with women and men seeking something new to ease the pain, to fill up the emptiness, and to give their lives meaning. I was given as much as I received...and today I found a book that once I sold in the store. Today in a thrift shop I found Susan Cahill's anthology Wise Women: Over 2000 Years of Spiritual Writing by Women and when the 70-something volunteer who took my $3.00 commented "Wise women?" and looked at me with more than a question in her eyes - she was asking me to give her what all her education, all her family, and all her churches had failed to give her: a sense of honor for the fact she was a woman and a sense of connection to all the mothers of her mothers and all their grandmothers back to the very dawn of human life.

And so the Spiral - like the River - flows on...

No comments: